Message from the Premier and
I am pleased to present the 2005/06 – 2007/08 Service Plan update for the Office of the Premier. This plan is presented in
accordance with Section 13 of the Budget Transparency and Accountability Act.
This updated service plan is the key document for the strategic management and achievement of the goals and objectives of
the Office of the Premier. As a rolling three-year plan, this document reflects and builds upon the Office of the Premier's
efforts in 2004.
Building on the success of the past four years, B.C. is well positioned to be a prosperous and just province, whose citizens
achieve their potential and have confidence in the future. To achieve this vision government has set Five Great Goals. These
- Make B.C. the best-educated, most literate jurisdiction on the continent;
- Lead the way in North America in healthy living and physical fitness;
- Building the best system of support in Canada for persons with disabilities, those with special needs, children at risk
- Lead the world in sustainable environmental management, with the best air and water quality, and the best fisheries management,
- Create more jobs per capita than anywhere else in Canada.
Over the next year, the Office of the Premier is dedicated to leading the government in achieving and delivering the Five
Great Goals and associated objectives as well as continuing its commitment to responsible fiscal management, transparency
and accountability. This service plan will form the framework to attain and realize its goals and objectives and communicate
that progress to the citizens of British Columbia. Government has planned many new and exciting initiatives to achieve the
Five Great Goals. Examples of these initiatives include:
- The ActNow BC program which promotes positive lifestyle choices and good health and involves collaborative work between
- Expanding the Asia Pacific gateway infrastructure and strengthening relationships with the rapidly growing economies in
Asia to realize trade, tourism and cultural opportunities for B.C.;
- Maximizing the potential for B.C. of the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, which will not only showcase the province
on a global scale, but provide businesses with opportunities to create new jobs and take advantage of new opportunities;
- Working with First Nations to ensure that the Five Great Goals for improving health, education, support services, environmental
management and job creation are realized in First Nation communities. Government is building a new relationship with First
Nations founded on reconciliation, recognition and respect for Aboriginal rights and title.
In carrying forward government's continued success, the Office of the Premier upholds and values the vision and work of our
partners and citizens. Government also recognizes the hard work and perseverance of its public servants in achieving excellence
in delivering programs for British Columbians.
The Office of the Premier 2005/06 – 2007/08 Service Plan Update September 2005 was prepared under my direction in accordance
with the Budget Transparency and Accountability Act. I am accountable for the basis on which the plan has been prepared. All material fiscal assumptions and policy decisions
as of August 31, 2005, have been considered in preparing the plan, and I am accountable for achieving the specific objectives
in the plan.
Honourable Gordon Campbell
September 14, 2005